Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Mavinkayi Chitranna | Raw Mango Rice

Mango rice is one of my favorite rice dishes. I have tried many recipes from Internet but found the perfect recipe in my favorite blog Monsoon Spice. Sia is my favorite blogger, I admire her blogging, photography and her recipes. In fact she is the one who suggested that I should create my own blog and I took it seriously :D 

I have made small changes to the original recipe, I always make this rice with raw mango. Sometimes I add broken cashew nuts to the tempering that adds a rich flavor to the rice. Today I have added a lot of peanuts. Thats how my family likes it:)


Prep time: 10 mins | cooking time :20 mins.
Recipe type: Rice, main course
Recipe source: Monsoon Spice 

Ingredients:
1 raw mango grated (with the peel)
2 cup long grain basmati rice, 
2 medium onion finely chopped
1 inch ginger finely chopped
3-4 green chillies finely chopped
1 sprig Curry leaves 
2 tbsp Coriander Leaves finely chopped
2 tbsp mint leaves finely chopped
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp ghee
1 tsp urad dal
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
3 tbsp ground nut 
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp sugar (optional)


Method:
1. Wash and soak rice for 30 minutes.

2. Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pressure cooker and add soaked rice to it and fry for a minute, add 4 cups of water and salt. Cook for 2-3 whistles and turn off. Let the rice cool down.

3. Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a pan and add mustard seeds, when it splutters add peanuts and sauté. Add urad daal and fry until it's golden brown in color, add cumin seeds and let it splutter.

4. Mix in curry leaves and chopped green chillies and fry for 30 seconds.

5. Add ginger and onion and fry until onions turn translucent.

6. Add turmeric powder,sugar, salt and grated mango and mix well. Add mint leaves and half of coriander leaves. Cook for 3-4 minutes and turn off the flame.

7. Mix in rice and add remaining coriander leaves and lemon juice. Combine everything well and the delicious mango rice is ready to devour :-)

Serve hot with pickle, chutney or raita.

Notes:
1. Adjust lemon juice and sugar based on the sourness of mango.
2. As a variation I fry a piece of cinnamon, 2 cloves and 2 cadamoms in ghee before cooking the rice to give a subtle spice flavor.


1 comment:

  1. Blog is good and informative , even a novice can try this, good.

    ReplyDelete