Sunday, December 6, 2015

Potato and Paneer Stuffed Grilled Capsicum | Grilled Peppers


When I started the blog in August I was over excited and trying to post everything that I was cooking (almost!). I quite enjoyed checking the comments, views and FB page views etc for about 3 months. Then my initial enthusiasm started fading away, often I started cooking thinking of posting the recipe and halfway I felt bored to click pictures and do plating and I said forget it, will post it next time. I got so busy with my office work and  my hyper active toddler that there came a point when I started wondering is this all? Have I lost interest in blogging so soon?


I kept thinking how to bring back that energy and passion. Then a friend of mine called me to say she is following my blog regularly and she likes the simple ingredients and explanation. I was really happy and the table had turned, I felt charged up and headed straight to the kitchen to find these beautiful, colorful capsicum/bell peppers sitting in the corner of the fridge. They looked so inviting that I decided to try a new recipe. Here is the super delicious potato and paneer stuffed grilled capsicum recipe. It's kind of a paneer burji with some variation that I used as stuffing. After I finished making them I still had energy to make a gravy to go along with it so I guess I am quite motivated now :-) So let's check the list of ingredients (quite a lengthy list but easy to find:)
Cleaned Capsicum Cups

Ingredients:

For Grilled Capsicum
Medium size capsicum/bell peppers : 4
Finely chopped medium onions :2
Finely chopped Ginger: 1 tbsp
Finely chopped Garlic: 1 tbsp
Boiled, peeled and mashed Potato : 1
Grated Paneer/Cottage Cheese : 1.5 cups
Oil: 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds: 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds: 1/4 tsp
Sesame Seeds: 1 tbsp
Red Chilli powder: 1 tsp
Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder : 1 tbsp
Cumin powder: 1/2 tbsp
Garam masala : 1/4 tsp
Lemon juice : 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Coriander Leaves: 2 tbsp

Method:

1. Wash and dry capsicum, Cut them into half vertically and remove seeds and pith. (See the pic)
2. Heat oil in a Pan and add mustard, cumin and fennel seeds and fry until they splutter. Mix in sesame seeds and stir.
3. Add Finely chopped ginger and garlic and saute until the raw smell disappears.
4. Add finely chopped onions and fry until they turn translucent.
5. Mix in turmeric powder, red chilli powder, Coriander powder, Cumin powder and garam masala and give a quick stir.
6. Add mashed potato and grated paneer, add salt to taste and combine everything well.
7. Add lemon juice and mix in coriander leaves and turn of the flame.
8. Let it cool down a bit, then start filling the mixture into the capsicum cups.
9. Apply a little oil on the stuffed capsicums and grill them at 180 degree Celsius for 15-20 minutes or until you see wrinkles on capsicum.
Ready to go in the oven

Grilled Capsicum

You can skip some ingredients or add some of your own like peanut powder, shredded coconut etc. Also you can top it with grated cheese before grilling if you plan to serve them as starters. I made a simple onion tomato gravy with fresh cream to go with chapathi.

For Creamy Gravy:
Finely chopped Onion : 2
Pureed tomato : 2
Oil: 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp
Ginger garlic paste: 1 tbsp
Slit Green Chillies : 2
Red chilli powder: 1/4 tsp
Turmeric Powder: 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder: 1 tsp
Garam masala : 1/4 tsp
Raisins: 1 tbsp (optional)
Broken Cashew: 1 tbsp (optional)
Fresh Cream : 1/2 cup
Salt to taste

Method: 
1. Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds, when they splutter add chopped onions and fry until they turn golden brown in color.
2. Add Ginger garlic paste and fry until raw smell disappears. Add in raisins and broken cashews and mix well.
3. Mix in tomato Puree, salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, Coriander powder and garam masala and fry until oil separates.
4. Add 1/2 cup water and bring it to boil, add slit green chillies and boil for 1-2 minutes.
5. Add fresh cream and bring to boil. Turn off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
6. Drop in grilled capsicum into the gravy before serving with any Indian flat bread.
Ready to serve - Grilled Capsicums in Creamy Gravy

Notes:
1. You can grill the stuffed capsicum on stove top also by arranging them in a single layer in thick bottomed pan and shallow fry them for 8-10 minutes. Keep stirring them in between to avoid burning.
2. The other option is to cook them in microwave. Cook until you see the wrinkles on capsicum.

No comments:

Post a Comment